The team had three races in three different parts of the country. At the same time my staff did a big recruiting push, a major fundraising effort, and we planned our Spring travel. I also had a fierce conversation with fellow coaches and one knock-down discussion on respect in college sports.
And … my oldest son, in his first year of college, had several football games, the youngest had his fall ball, and my wife opened her latest adventure, a smoothie bar.
What helped keep me sane (at least I think I’m still sane) is the time I invest each day in thinking. At least 30 minutes each day is set aside for reading, consuming & absorbing any info I find engaging. Often it will start on one topic, say something sport related, but then that can quickly lead to a variety of other topics. It’s time I value, and try to fiercely protect from being absorbed by other tasks. Often the 30 minutes will turn into an hour or more if the material is really interesting.
Here are several things I thought were worth sharing from this past month.
1. Coaching boys, coaching girls. Is there a difference? Oh yes, yes there is.
2. S. Anthony Iannarino on the investment you make in yourself is the best investment you’ll ever make.
3. Two types of learning, and how they impact people. Helped me understand a coaching issue I was having.
4. Flash? Meet substance. A new world record at the edge of space. (This guy is crazy, but what he did makes perfect sense.)
5. How to speak so that people want to listen, from Julian Treasury. A great TED talk.
6. Ed Smith on coaches, innovation, and wealth in sports.
8. Why this really really rich fellow, who happens to be 83, keeps working.
9. Forgiving, failure and Ray Rice. A sad yet insightful and hopefully story about a fallen hero.
10. Big data, coaching and the impact on us coaches.
11. One word, coach, just one word.
12. Confessions of an NFL ball-boy (not for the timid)
13. An amazing account of an amazing victory by an amazing man.
14. Thinking big from Tony Robbins and Peter Diamandis.
15. What really motivates us (gets really insightful at the 5:10 mark).
- Last month’s compilation: Your Coaching Gift, Presenting, Leading A Tribe, and Coaching Insights From The Olympics